Program and Calendar Requirements

The conditions for graduation are regulated by the programs, and program-specific conditions for graduation are outlined in the Schedule of Study for each program listed in this calendar. Students must satisfy the schedule of studies requirements for the calendar in effect at the time of their admission to the program or at the time of any subsequent change in program or area of emphasis. Where students select an “area of emphasis”, the calendar used to determine the schedule of studies is the same as the calendar used for the area of emphasis. Changes in areas of emphasis do not necessarily affect the calendar used to determine the schedule of studies. Students may declare a schedule of studies from an alternate calendar if program approval is obtained. Any such request must be made in writing to the relevant Academic Advisor.

Students who are on suspension for academic misconduct will not be permitted to graduate during the period of the suspension.

In addition to meeting all program specific course and credit requirements, students must have a minimum 60% cumulative average in order to be eligible for graduation. Students will not normally be eligible to graduate while on Probationary status or Required to Withdraw status. A student denied graduation while on Probationary status or Required to Withdraw status may submit an appeal for Academic Consideration. A request for Academic Consideration should be made by the student to the Academic Review Sub-Committee.

Academic Residence Requirements

  1. At least 5.00 of the credits required for graduation by the student's program must be taken at the University of Guelph-Humber.
  2. At least 60% of the 3000 and 4000 level courses required for graduation must be taken at the University of Guelph-Humber.

Second Degrees

Students from the University of Guelph-Humber (or from another university) may graduate with a second undergraduate degree from the University of Guelph-Humber. If they have graduated with their first degree, they must apply for admission to the program for their second degree. However, only 10.00 credits may be transferred from the initial degree program. The course content of the second degree program must be substantially different (defined below) from that of the first. If University of Guelph-Humber students apply to graduate with two different degrees at the same convocation, only 10.00 credits may be transferred from the registered program to the undeclared program.

Note: A second degree is judged to be substantially different if the schedule of studies requirements have no more than 25% course overlap.

Graduation Procedures

Student's Responsibilities

A student must submit a formal application in order to be considered as a candidate for a degree and/or diploma at a specific convocation. There are two convocation periods each year, one in November and another in late June. A formal convocation ceremony(s) is held in June but not in November. An application for graduation must be submitted by the student no later than the deadline specified in correspondence to students. Late applications will be accepted with the submission of a late fee (refer to Section V – Tuition and Fees).

Following submission of the application to graduate, the student will receive confirmation of the application, along with information on subsequent procedures. An additional late fee will be assessed in those cases where the student requests changes after the deadline, as this will affect the printing of the degree/diploma parchment.

Although the Office of Registrarial Services will attempt to send an email to every potential graduate inviting them to apply to graduate via WebAdvisor, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that they submit their application for graduation by the deadlines circulated by Registrarial Services in the Fall and Winter Semesters. Specific application details are as follow:

Application for Graduation

An email inviting students to apply to graduate via Web-Advisor for Students (My Application for Graduation) will be sent to each student registered in an honours degree program when their completed plus in-progress credits equal 20.00 credits or more. All other students with an active academic program who wish to apply to graduate may access 'My Application for Graduation' on WebAdvisor for Students.

Students who are not currently active students must submit a hard-copy Application for Graduation form. This application form and instructions for the completion of the application are available in GH112 Student Financial Services, University of Guelph-Humber.

It is the responsibility of the student to submit the completed form prior to the published deadline date.

Responsibilities of Academic Advisors, Program Heads and the Campus Registrar regarding Graduation

The Academic Advisor receives both the Academic Evaluations for all students who have applied to graduate and a listing of those students for each program. The Academic Advisor must review these records to determine if each student has satisfied:

  1. general University requirements,
  2. overall program requirements and
  3. area of emphasis requirements (if applicable).

Each check is to be reported on the form supplied, and the form is to be forwarded to the Program Head by the date specified on the accompanying memorandum. If an applicant satisfies the requirements for the degree and/or diploma sought, the Campus Registrar will report the name of the student to the Vice-Provost. If an applicant fails to satisfy any requirement(s), the Campus Registrar will inform the student of that decision.

Standing on Graduation

Standing on graduation is noted for graduates as follows:

  • Degree with Distinction - Cumulative average of 80% or higher.
  • Degree with Honours - Cumulative average of 70-79%.
  • Degree with Standing - Cumulative average of less than 70%.

Standing is only based on the internal University of Guelph-Humber academic record. Graduation standing is noted on the student's official transcript after graduation has taken place. The standing is not printed on the student's parchment.

Notation on Transcript

Official transcripts from the University of Guelph-Humber will not show that a degree or diploma has been conferred until after the date of the convocation ceremony.