Study Option Transfer Application Procedures

Study Option Transfer from Master's to Master's

An opportunity to transfer from a thesis option to a coursework option within a master’s program (or vice versa) is available only where there is an approved coursework option in place for the particular program.

In some instances, the Advisory Committee may recommend a transfer to a coursework master’s after having determined that the student’s aptitude and/or background preparation for research are not adequate for a thesis-based master’s program. Conversely, students in a coursework program may wish to expand a Major Research Project or Paper to a master’s thesis.

The application for a “Study Option or Degree Program Transfer” must be initiated by the student.

In addition to the transfer form, new copies of the following must be submitted:
  • Advisory Committee form
  • Graduate Degree Program form
  • Funding Form
Transfer requests must be submitted no later than the end of the semester before the semester in which the student expects to graduate (e.g. by the end of the Winter semester if the student expects to complete their program in the subsequent Summer semester).

Students should consult with the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies for more information.