Credit/No Credit Grading Option

The University of Guelph is committed to developing the whole student, providing a learning environment that encourages exploration. The credit/no credit course option will encourage student learning and participation in academic areas in which they have interest but perhaps not expertise. This policy allows graduate students to receive credit for courses outside their prescribed graduate coursework without impacting their grade point average. Non-degree students are not eligible for this grading option. 

Students complete course work as usual and must achieve a final mark of at least 65%, to receive a Credit (CR) under this option. The course(s) are not included in the calculation of the student’s overall cumulative or semester average. 

Graduate students may elect to take up to 1.00 credits (typically equal to two, one-semester courses) on the credit/no credit grading option in each degree taken. These courses will not count towards fulfillment of minimum program requirements, which must be listed as prescribed courses on the degree program form.  However, they can be listed as additional courses.  The choice of courses is not restricted as to year or level of course.  The Graduate Program Coordinator of the student’s program must approve the request.

If a student fails the course and receives a grade of No Credit (NCR), the student can appeal to the department to change NCR to audit (AUD) using the Graduate Grade Change Form.  The Department Chair of the student’s program must approve the request.  This option is only available to students who have received approval for the CR option. 

To qualify for this grading option, students must:

  • be currently registered in the course;
  • submit a request to opt for a credit/no credit status to the Registrar’s Office by the last day of classes in the semester in which they are taking the course.
  • apply the credit/no credit grading option only to additional courses that are not required to meet the minimum requirements of their graduate program.

Students may not use this grading option for the following categories of courses:

  • courses that fulfill the minimum program requirements for the graduate degree;
  • courses that are being taken to resolve provisional status;
  • courses in which the student has been found guilty of academic misconduct and received a grade penalty.

Reversing a credit/no credit request

  • The request to complete a course on a credit/no credit basis can be reversed by submitting a reversal request to the Office of Registrarial Services.